Karthik V. Sarma
- UCLA Bioengineering
- UCLA-Caltech Medical Scientist Training Program
Karthik is an MD-PhD student at the UCLA-Caltech Medical Scientist Training Program, currently pursuing his PhD in the UCLA Medical Imaging Informatics group.
Karthik's research focuses on the development of novel artificial intelligence techniques for medical applications. His thesis work seeks to assist radiologists and pathologists focusing on diagnosis, staging and treatment of prostate cancer by adapting modern computer vision approaches to the development of computerized clinical decision support systems (CDS). He is the recipient of an F30 fellowship from the National Institutes of Health and several other awards and grants. In addition to his work in prostate CDS, Karthik's work also includes the evaluation of social media as a predictive tool for health status, the use of artificial intelligence for stroke prognosis estimation, and the development of patient portals for effectively sharing understandable medical information.
Karthik also serves as a member of the Board of Trustees of the American Medical Association, having been elected in 2016 and re-elected in 2017. Prior to joining the AMA-BOT, he was a member of the AMA House of Delegates for four years as part of the California delegation and served on the AMA Council on Medical Service. He also led the effort to create the AMA Medical Student Section Committee on Health Information Technology and served as its first chair. Currently he is the vice chair of the California Medical Association (CMA) Subcommittee on Health Information Technology, having previously served on the CMA Board of Trustees in 2014.
A native of Chicago, Karthik is an alumnus of the California Institute of Technology, where he received the degree of Bachelor of Science with honors in computer science.
- Garcia-Gathright JI, Matiasz NJ, Adame C, Sarma KV, Sauer L, Smedley NF, Spiegel ML, Strunck J, Garon EB, Taira RK, Aberle D, Bui AAT. Evaluating Casama: Contextualized semantic maps for summarization of lung cancer studies. Computers in Biology and Medicine. 2018;92. DOI: 10.1016/j.compbiomed.2017.10.034. PDF
- Li W, Li J, Sarma KV, Ho KC, Shen S, Knudsen BS, Gertych A, Arnold CW. Path R-CNN for Prostate Cancer Diagnosis and Gleason Grading of Histological Images. IEEE transactions on medical imaging [Internet]. IEEE; 2018;8(1):14429. Retrieved from: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/8490855 DOI: 10.1109/TMI.2018.2875868. PDF
- Li J, Speier W, Ho KC, Sarma KV, Gertych A, Knudsen BS, Arnold CW. An EM-based semi-supervised deep learning approach for semantic segmentation of histopathological images from radical prostatectomies. Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics. Elsevier; 2018;69:125–133.
- Li J, Sarma KV, Ho KC, Gertych A, Knudsen BS, Arnold CW. A Multi-scale U-Net for Semantic Segmentation of Histological Images from Radical Prostatectomies. AMIA Annual Symposium Proceedings. American Medical Informatics Association; 2017. p. 1140.
- Ho KC, Scalzo F, Sarma KV, El-Saden S, Arnold CW. A Temporal Deep Learning Approach for MR Perfusion Parameter Estimation in Stroke. 23rd International Conference on Pattern Recognition. Cancun; 2016.
- Ho KC, Scalzo F, Sarma KV, El-Saden S, Bui AAT, Arnold CW. A Novel Bi-Input Convolutional Neural Network for Deconvolution-Free Estimation of Stroke MR Perfusion Parameters. 2016 Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America. Chicago, IL; 2016.
- Sarma KV, Zhong X, Ho KC, Margolis DJA, Raman S, Scalzo F, Sung KH, Tan N, Arnold C. An Investigational Patch-based Convolutional Neural Network Model for the Detection of Clinically Significant Prostate Cancer using Multiparametric MRI. 2016 Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America. Chicago, IL; 2016.
- Sarma KV, Zhong X, Ho KC, Margolis DJA, Raman S, Scalzo F, Sung KH, Tan N, Arnold CW. Development of a Deep Learning Model for the Detection of Prostate Cancer using MRI. Gordon Research Conference in Advanced Health Informatics. Hong Kong; 2016.
- McNamara M, Arnold CW, Sarma KV, Aberle DR, Garon EB, Bui AAT. Patient portal preferences: Perspectives on imaging information. J Assoc Inf Sci Technol. 2015;66:1606–15. DOI: 10.1002/asi.23269. PDF
- Oh A, Arnold CW, Vangala S, Wallace DW, Genshaft SJ, Sarma KV, Aberle DR. Imaging-histologic discordance at percutaneous biopsy of the lung. Acad Radiol. 2015;22:481–7. DOI: 10.1016/j.acra.2014.11.009. PDF
- McNamara M, Sarma KV, Aberle DR, Bui AAT, Arnold CW. Data model for personalized patient health guidelines: An exploratory study. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2014. p. 1835–44. PDF
- McNamara M, Arnold CW, Sarma KV, Aberle DR, Bui AAT. Patient portal for NSCLC with supporting health information. RSNA Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL; 2013.