Corey W. Arnold, PhD
- Computational Integrated Diagnostics
- Department of Radiological Sciences
- Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
- Department of Bioengineering (Affiliate Faculty)
- Department of Bioinformatics (Affiliate Faculty)
Office: 924 Westwood Blvd, Suite 420, Room E
Phone: (310) 794-3538
Dr. Corey Arnold is an Associate Professor with a joint appointment in the UCLA Departments of Radiological Sciences and Pathology & Laboratory Medicine. He leads the Computational Integrated Diagnostics program, a joint effort between the departments. His areas of research include medical image analysis, computational phenotyping, natural language processing, and multi-scale predictive disease modeling, with a preference for problems that have a clear pathway to clinical translation. Most projects share the goal of integrating radiology, pathology, and -omic features to further our understanding of disease through the discovery of predictive computational phenotypes that may be used for risk stratification, treatment selection, and response monitoring. His lab also serves as a resource for department physicians, fellows, and residents who wish to incorporate machine learning/data science techniques into their research.
- Ho K, Speier W, El-Saden S, Arnold C. Classifying Acute Ischemic Stroke Onset Time using Deep Imaging Features. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2017.
- Ho KC, Scalzo F, Sarma KV, El-Saden S, Arnold CW. A Temporal Deep Learning Approach for MR Perfusion Parameter Estimation in Stroke. 23rd International Conference on Pattern Recognition. Cancun; 2016.
- Ho KC, Scalzo F, Sarma KV, El-Saden S, Bui AAT, Arnold CW. A Novel Bi-Input Convolutional Neural Network for Deconvolution-Free Estimation of Stroke MR Perfusion Parameters. 2016 Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America. Chicago, IL; 2016.
- Sarma KV, Zhong X, Ho KC, Margolis DJA, Raman S, Scalzo F, Sung KH, Tan N, Arnold C. An Investigational Patch-based Convolutional Neural Network Model for the Detection of Clinically Significant Prostate Cancer using Multiparametric MRI. 2016 Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America. Chicago, IL; 2016.
- Sarma KV, Zhong X, Ho KC, Margolis DJA, Raman S, Scalzo F, Sung KH, Tan N, Arnold CW. Development of a Deep Learning Model for the Detection of Prostate Cancer using MRI. Gordon Research Conference in Advanced Health Informatics. Hong Kong; 2016.
- Ho KC, El-Saden S, Scalzo F, Bui AAT, Arnold CW. Abstract WP41: Predicting Acute Ischemic Stroke Tissue Fate Using Deep Learning on Source Perfusion MRI. Stroke. 2016;47.
- Speier W, Arnold C, Pouratian N. Integrating language models into classifiers for BCI communication: a review. Journal of Neural Engineering. 2016;12:031002.
- Speier W, Ong M, Arnold C. Using phrases and document metadata to improve topic modeling of clinical reports. Journal of Biomedical Informatics. 2016;61:260–266.
- McNamara M, Arnold CW, Sarma KV, Aberle DR, Garon EB, Bui AAT. Patient portal preferences: Perspectives on imaging information. J Assoc Inf Sci Technol. 2015;66:1606–15. DOI: 10.1002/asi.23269. PDF
- Arnold CW, Wallace DW, Chen S, Oh A, Abtin F, Genshaft SJ, Binder S, Aberle DR, Enzmann DR. RadPath: A Web-based system for integrating and correlating radiology and pathology findings during cancer diagnosis. Acad Radiol. 2015;In press. DOI: 10.1016/j.acra.2015.09.009. PDF
- Oh A, Arnold CW, Vangala S, Wallace DW, Genshaft SJ, Sarma KV, Aberle DR. Imaging-histologic discordance at percutaneous biopsy of the lung. Acad Radiol. 2015;22:481–7. DOI: 10.1016/j.acra.2014.11.009. PDF
- Speier W, Arnold CW, Deshpande A, Knall J, Pouratian N. Incorporating advanced language models into the P300 speller using particle filtering. Journal of Neural Engineering. 2015;12:046018. PDF
- Arnold CW, Oh A, Chen S, Speier W. Evaluating topic model interpretability from a primary care physician perspective. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine. 2015;In press. DOI: 10.1016/j.cmpb.2015.10.014. PDF
- Hsu W, Han SX, Arnold CW, Bui AAT, Enzmann DR. A data-driven approach for quality assessment of radiologic interpretations. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2015; DOI: 10.1093/jamia/ocv161.
- Ho KC, Speier W, El-Saden S, Liebeskind DS, Saver JL, Bui AAT, Arnold CW. Predicting discharge mortality after acute ischemic stroke using balanced data. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2014. p. 1787–96. PDF
- Speier W, Arnold CW, Lu J, Deshpande A, Pouratian N. Integrating language information with a hidden Markov model to improve communication rate in the P300 speller. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2014;22:678–84. DOI: 10.1109/TNSRE.2014.2300091. PDF
- McNamara M, Sarma KV, Aberle DR, Bui AAT, Arnold CW. Data model for personalized patient health guidelines: An exploratory study. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2014. p. 1835–44. PDF
- Ho KC, Speier W, El-Saden S, Liebeskind DS, Saver JL, Bui AAT, Arnold CW. Predicting discharge mortality in acute ischemic stroke patients using support vector machines and affinity propagation. MUCMD. 2014.
- Han SX, Hsu W, Arnold CW, Margolis DJA, Bui AAT, Enzmann DR. RadQA: Automated quality control of radiological interpretations in prostate cancer. RSNA Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL; 2014.
- Arnold CW, McNamara M, El-Saden S, Chen S, Taira RK, Bui AAT. Imaging informatics for consumer health: Towards a radiology patient portal. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2013;20:1028–36. DOI: 10.1136/amiajnl-2012-001457. PDF
- Speier W, Arnold CW, Pouratian N. Evaluating true BCI communication rate through mutual information and language models. PLoS One. 2013;8:e78432. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0078432. PDF
- Love A, Arnold CW, El-Saden S, Liebeskind DS, Andrada LP, Saver JL, Bui AAT. Unifying acute stroke treatment guidelines for a Bayesian belief network. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013;192:1012. PDF
- Bui AAT, Hsu W, Arnold CW, El-Saden S, Aberle DR, Taira RK. Imaging-based observational databases for clinical problem solving: The role of informatics. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2013;20:1053–8. DOI: 10.1136/amiajnl-2012-001340. PDF
- Taira RK, Arnold CW. Hierarchical semantic structures for medical NLP. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013;192:1194. PDF
- Chen S, Arnold CW. Integrating UIMA annotators in a web-based text processing framework. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013;192:1191. PDF
- Arnold CW, Nguyen T, Janzen C. BabySTEPS: A sugar tracking electronic portal system for gestational diabetes. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013;192:1123. PDF
- McNamara M, Arnold CW, Sarma KV, Aberle DR, Bui AAT. Patient portal for NSCLC with supporting health information. RSNA Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL; 2013.
- Arnold CW, Wallace DW, Abtin F, Ellingson BM, Bui AAT, Binder S, Aberle DR, Enzmann DR. RadPath: An electronic platform for integrating radiology and pathology findings during cancer diagnosis. RSNA Annual Meeting. 2013.
- Garcia-Gathright JI, Arnold CW, Bui AAT. Automatic extraction of patient characteristics from clinical reports. RSNA Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL; 2013.
- Speier W, Arnold CW, Lu J, Taira RK, Pouratian N. Natural language processing with dynamic classification improves P300 speller accuracy and bit rate. Journal of Neural Engineering. 2012;9:016004. DOI: 10.1088/1741-2560/9/1/016004. PDF
- Arnold CW, Speier W. A topic model of clinical reports. Proc ACM SIGIR Conf Research and Development in Information Retrieval. 2012. p. 1031–1032. PDF
- McNamara M, Arnold CW, Chen S, El-Saden S, Taira RK, Bui AAT. Patient portal for neuro-radiology with consumer oriented terminology. National Library of Medicine Informatics Fellowship Conference. 2012.
- Speier W, Arnold CW, Lu J, Taira RK, Pouratian N. Using natural language processing methods to improve EEG classification in brain-computer interfaces. NLM Informatics Training Conference. 2012.
- Speier W, Iglesias JE, El-Kara L, Tu Z, Arnold CW. Robust skull stripping of clinical glioblastoma multiforme data. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2011;14:659–66. PDF
- Singleton KW, Lan M, Arnold CW, Vahidi M, Arangua L, Gelberg L, Bui AAT. Wireless data collection of self-administered surveys using tablet computers. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2011. p. 1261–9. PDF
- Arnold CW, Chen X, McNamara M, El-Saden S, Taira RK. A web-based patient radiology portal for result presentation and education. RSNA Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL; 2011.
- Arnold CW, Bui AAT, El-Saden S, Aberle DR, Taira RK. Image and report indexing through automated topic discovery. RSNA Annual Meeting. 2011.
- Speier W, Arnold CW, Hsu W, Bui AAT. Content-based image retrieval using feature density estimates. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. Washington DC; 2011. PDF
- Arnold CW, El-Saden S, Bui AAT, Taira RK. Clinical case-based retrieval using latent topic analysis. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2010;2010:26–30.
- Hsu W, Arnold CW, Taira RK. A Neuro-oncology Workstation for Structuring, Modeling, and Visualizing Patient Records. Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Health Informatics Symposium. New York, NY, USA: ACM; 2010. DOI: 10.1145/1882992.1883120.
- Watt E, Arnold CW, Sayre JW. Evaluation. Medical Imaging Informatics. Springer; 2010. p. 403\textendash438.
- Arnold CW, Davis M, Knoop S, Gruhl D. A scalable architecture for medical report driven information retrieval. Proc AMIA Annu Symp. 2009.
- Arnold CW, Bui AAT, Morioka CA, El-Saden S, Kangarloo H. Informatics in radiology: A prototype Web-based reporting system for onsite-offsite clinician communication. Radiographics. 2007;27:1201–11. DOI: 10.1148/rg.274065124.
- Arnold CW, Corso JJ, Bui AAT. An unsupervised approach to automatic image annotation. NSF Biomedical Informatics Workshop: Expanding Secondary Use of Health Data. Portland, OR; 2007.