Denise Aberle, MD
- Department of Radiological Sciences
- Department of Bioengineering
- Department of Radiological Sciences
Following completion of a doctorate in medicine in 1979, Dr. Aberle completed residency training in internal medicine and subsequently in diagnostic radiology, with fellowship training in thoracic imaging. Dr. Aberle is a well-established clinical researcher. She is a leader in cancer screening trials, having spearheaded the National Lung Screening Trial (NLST), a multi-center endeavor and the largest prospective randomized imaging trial on lung cancer screening in the world. Additionally, she is involved in multiple NIH research projects. She serves in leadership capacities for multiple organizations, including ECOG-ACRIN (Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group-American College of Radiology Imaging Network), where she is Co-Chair of the Early Detection, Diagnosis, and Surveillance Committee and a member of the Executive Committee through which all clinical trials and research opportunities are approved. She also serves on the IASLC (Intl Association for the Study of Lung Cancer) Screening Executive Committee and Co-Chairs the Radiology Working Group. She has been awarded for her teaching excellence at UCLA and received awards for outstanding scientific leadership from ACRIN, the Society of Thoracic Radiology, the IASLC, the Academy of Radiology Research, and the inaugural award for Outstanding Achievement in Clinical and Translational Research from the UCLA Clinical Translational Science Institute (CTSI).
- Garcia-Gathright JI, Matiasz NJ, Adame C, Sarma KV, Sauer L, Smedley NF, Spiegel ML, Strunck J, Garon EB, Taira RK, Aberle D, Bui AAT. Evaluating Casama: Contextualized semantic maps for summarization of lung cancer studies. Computers in Biology and Medicine. 2018;92. DOI: 10.1016/j.compbiomed.2017.10.034. PDF
- Garcia-Gathright JI, Matiasz NJ, Garon EB, Aberle D, Taira RK, Bui AAT. Toward patient-tailored summarization of lung cancer literature. 2016 IEEE-EMBS International Conference on Biomedical and Health Informatics (BHI). 2016. p. 449–452. DOI: 10.1109/BHI.2016.7455931.
- Petousis P, Han SX, Aberle D, Bui AAT. Prediction of lung cancer incidence on the low-dose computed tomography arm of the National Lung Screening Trial: A dynamic Bayesian network . Artificial Intelligence in Medicine [Internet]. 2016;72:42–55. Retrieved from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0933365716301063 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.artmed.2016.07.001. PDF
- McNamara M, Arnold CW, Sarma KV, Aberle DR, Garon EB, Bui AAT. Patient portal preferences: Perspectives on imaging information. J Assoc Inf Sci Technol. 2015;66:1606–15. DOI: 10.1002/asi.23269. PDF
- Garcia-Gathright JI, Oh A, Abarca PA, Han M, Sago W, Spiegel ML, Wolf B, Garon EB, Bui AAT, Aberle DR. Representing and extracting lung cancer study metadata: Study objective and study design. Comput Biol Med. 2015;58:63–72. DOI: 10.1016/j.compbiomed.2015.01.004. PDF
- Arnold CW, Wallace DW, Chen S, Oh A, Abtin F, Genshaft SJ, Binder S, Aberle DR, Enzmann DR. RadPath: A Web-based system for integrating and correlating radiology and pathology findings during cancer diagnosis. Acad Radiol. 2015;In press. DOI: 10.1016/j.acra.2015.09.009. PDF
- Oh A, Arnold CW, Vangala S, Wallace DW, Genshaft SJ, Sarma KV, Aberle DR. Imaging-histologic discordance at percutaneous biopsy of the lung. Acad Radiol. 2015;22:481–7. DOI: 10.1016/j.acra.2014.11.009. PDF
- McNamara M, Sarma KV, Aberle DR, Bui AAT, Arnold CW. Data model for personalized patient health guidelines: An exploratory study. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2014. p. 1835–44. PDF
- McNamara M, Arnold CW, Sarma KV, Aberle DR, Bui AAT. Patient portal for NSCLC with supporting health information. RSNA Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL; 2013.
- Arnold CW, Wallace DW, Abtin F, Ellingson BM, Bui AAT, Binder S, Aberle DR, Enzmann DR. RadPath: An electronic platform for integrating radiology and pathology findings during cancer diagnosis. RSNA Annual Meeting. 2013.
- Bui AAT, Hsu W, Arnold CW, El-Saden S, Aberle DR, Taira RK. Imaging-based observational databases for clinical problem solving: The role of informatics. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2013;20:1053–8. DOI: 10.1136/amiajnl-2012-001340. PDF
- Yan M, Zou Y, Hsu W, Chien A, Vese L, Aberle DR, Bui AAT, Cong J. Accelerating medical image reconstruction and analysis using domain specific computing. RSNA Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL; 2011.
- Arnold CW, Bui AAT, El-Saden S, Aberle DR, Taira RK. Image and report indexing through automated topic discovery. RSNA Annual Meeting. 2011.
- Aberle DR, El-Saden S, Abbona P, Gomez A, Motamedi K, Ragavendra N, Bassett L, Seeger L, Brown M, Brown K, others. A primer on imaging anatomy and physiology. Medical Imaging Informatics. Springer; 2010. p. 15\textendash90.
- Hsu W, Aberle DR, El-Saden S, Kangarloo H, Bui AAT. A visual query application for interacting with a probabilistic model of tumor image features. RSNA. Chicago, IL, 2007.
- Bui AAT, Aberle DR, Kangarloo H. TimeLine: Visualizing integrated patient records. IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed. 2007;11:462–73.
- Bui AAT, Morioka CA, Dionisio J, Johnson D, Sinha U, Ardekani S, Taira RK, Aberle DR, El-Saden S, Kangarloo H. OpenSourcePACS: An extensible infrastructure for medical image management. IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed. 2007;11:94–109.
- Bui AAT, Taira RK, El-Saden S, Dordoni A, Aberle DR. Automated medical problem list generation: Towards a patient timeline. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2004;107:587–91. PDF
- Bui AAT, Taira RK, Goldman D, Dionisio J, Aberle DR, El-Saden S, Sayre JW, Rice T, Kangarloo H. Effect of an imaging-based streamlined electronic healthcare process on quality and costs. Acad Radiol. 2004;11:13–20.
- Bui AAT, Taira RK, Dionisio J, Aberle DR, Kangarloo H. Problem-centric visualization of an imaging-based electronic medical record. Radiological Society of North America. Chicago, IL: RSNA; 2003.
- Bui AAT, Taira RK, Dionisio J, Aberle DR, El-Saden S, Kangarloo H. Evidence-based radiology: Requirements for electronic access. Acad Radiol. 2002;9:662–9.
- Bui AAT, McNitt-Gray MF, Goldin J, Cardenas AF, Aberle DR. Problem-oriented prefetching for an integrated clinical imaging workstation. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2001;8:242–53.
- Dionisio J, Johnson D, Bui AAT, Taira RK, Aberle DR, Kangarloo H. A systematic method for new technology integration into a distributed electronic infrastructure to improve quality of care. Radiological Society of North America (RSNA). Chicago, IL, USA: Radiological Society of North America (RSNA); 1999.
- Bui AAT, Aberle DR, Goldin J, McNitt-Gray MF, Cardenas AF, Kleerup EC, Ratib OM. TimeLine: A multimedia, problem-centric visualization of patient records. Proc AMIA Symp. 1999. p. 1034.
- Bui AAT, Aberle DR, Dionisio J, Son RY, McNitt-Gray MF, Cardenas AF. TimeLine: A platform-independent, configurable interface for problem-centric multimedia patient records. RSNA. 1999.
- Bui AAT, Aberle DR, McNitt-Gray MF, Cardenas AF, Goldin J. The evolution of an integrated timeline for oncology patient healthcare. Proc AMIA Symp. 1998;:165–9.
- Johnson D, Taira RK, Zhou W, Goldin J, Aberle DR. Hyperad: augmenting and visualizing free text radiology reports. Radiographics. 1998;18:507–15. DOI: 10.1148/radiographics.18.2.9536493.
- Johnson D, Taira RK, Cardenas AF, Aberle DR. Extracting information from free text radiology reports. International Journal on Digital Libraries. 1997;1:297\textendash308. DOI: 10.1007/s007990050024.
- Aberle DR, Dionisio J, McNitt-Gray MF, Taira RK, Cardenas AF, Goldin J, Brown K, Figlin RA, Chu W. Integrated multimedia timeline of medical images and data for thoracic oncology patients. Radiographics. 1996;16:669–81. DOI: 10.1148/radiographics.16.3.8897631.
- Dionisio J, Cardenas AF, Taira RK, Aberle DR, Chu W, McNitt-Gray MF, Goldin J, Lufkin RB. A unified timeline model and user interface for multimedia medical databases. Comput Med Imaging Graph. 1996;20:333–46.
- Taira RK, Johnson D, Bhushan V, Rivera M, Wong C, Huang L, Aberle DR, Greaves M, Goldin J. A concept-based retrieval system for thoracic radiology. J Digit Imaging. 1996;9:25–36.